A selection of the most interesting leadership resources that I have recently encountered. Feel free to submit your own proposals in the comments.
General Leadership links
- Do What Scares The Stuff Out Of You! by Sarah Chana Mocke. My favorite this month – a leader from Microsoft talks about her way to success.
- Making Metrics Matter by Kevin Eikenberry. Five ideas on how to make the numbers improve your results.
- 10 Reasons Why Superstar Employees Make Lousy Managers by Dan McCarthy. And you thought there’s nothing better than to promote a Senior Developer?
- 8 Word Behavioral Definition of Employee Engagement by David Zinger. ‘Good work done well with others every day’ – I like it!
- Leadership Don’ts and Dos by Dan McCarthy. A few typical mistakes, and some good advice.
- Change Mindset From That of a Producer to That of a Leader by John C. Maxwell. A quick tip on how to switch your mind from ‘me’ to ‘we’.
- How to Utilize Informal Coaching to Improve Employee Performance by Beth Armknecht Miller.
- Five Things That Matter More When Leading Other Leaders. Kevin Eikenberry lists a few things to focus on when you don’t just lead individual employees.
IT Leadership links
- Six Agile Method Take Aways from the Reifer 2014 Quantitative Analysis of Agile Methods Study by Donald J. Reifer. Another Agile vs. plan-driven comparison, based on the benchmarking report published by Reifer Consultants LLC.
- Clean Micro-service Architecture. Uncle Bob on the importance of not coupling your system’s architecture to a particular deployment model.
- What Is Quality? Mike Cohn proposes a simple definition of quality for software products.
- Top 5 Mistakes For First Time Tech Leads by Pat Kua.
- The Importance of Discipline in Agile by Ben Linders. Anyone still thinking that ‘Agile’ means ‘do whatever you want’?
- The Future of IT Leaders by J.D. Meier.
- 5 Ways Software Developers Can Become Better at Estimation by John Sonmez. Good to start a meaningful discussion in your team.
- Automation with humans in mind: making complex systems predictable, reliable and humane. A summary of a DevOps Days Belgium presentation by Brian Troutwine.
- Why I Prefer Commitment-Driven Sprint Planning by Mike Cohn.